Dr Asim steps down as PPP Karachi division president

Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Dr Asim Hussain has stepped down as party’s Karachi division president due to health issues.
While explaining the reason for the decision, Dr Asim told PPP Co-Chairperson Asif Ali Zardari that he won’t be able to take up the responsibilities associated with the post as he has to travel abroad for a surgery.
He added that he will continue working for the party as a worker. Dr Asim was appointed as the president of party’s Karachi division last year in November.
In response to his decision, PPP announced that Dr Asim will be given new and important responsibilities.
Dr Asim’s resignation letter was accepted by PPP Chairperson Bilawal Bhutto Zardari.
“Dr Asim has done a lot for the party,” said Bilawal, adding that Dr Asim took up the role despite health issues.
Dr Asim will be given new responsibilities once he returns after undergoing surgery, added Bilawal.On November 16, the Supreme Court of Pakistan had directed the government to strike off Dr Asim Hussain from the Exit Control List (ECL) so he can travel abroad for treatment.
Dr Asim, a former petroleum minister and PPP Karachi chief, is accused in three cases: two of corruption during his stint in the last federal government and one of facilitating terrorists at his hospital.
During the SC hearing on November 16, Dr Asim’s counsel informed the bench, comprising Justice Mushir Alam and Justice Qazi Faez Isa, that his client followed the apex court’s earlier permission to travel abroad for treatment and return in a month.
In his remarks, Justice Isa wondered why the implementation of the law is not the same for all citizens.
He observed that those with serious cases against them, including treason, are sitting abroad, questioning if anything has been done to bring them back.
On August 29, Dr Asim was allowed to leave for London for a back surgery and ordered to submit a surety bond of Rs6 million.
Dr Asim, a close aide of former president and PPP co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari, was detained by the Rangers in August 2015, while he was heading the provincial higher education department.
He was later transferred to the custody of the civilian law enforcement agencies.