World

At least 115 killed in attack on Egypt mosque during Friday prayers

Gunmen attacked a packed mosque in Egypt’s restive North Sinai province during Friday prayers and set off a bomb, wounding at least 115 people, health and police officials said.
Health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed told AFP at least 115 people were wounded in the attack, and that no deaths had been reported as yet.
Three police officers said the extremists attacked the al-Rawdah mosque in the town of Bir al-Abd, 40 kilometres from the North Sinai provincial capital of el-Arish.
They said men in four off-road vehicles opened fire on worshippers inside the mosque during the sermon.
Victims were being transferred to local hospitals, they added, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorised to brief reporters.