Intizar murder case: Detained ACLC officials record statements before police

Six Anti-Car Lifting Cell (ACLC) officials detained for their suspected involvement in the fatal shooting of a teenager in Karachi’s Defence Housing Authority (DHA) on Saturday night recorded their statements before police on Monday morning, police sources told.
Two inspectors, two head constables and two officers were among those taken into custody after 19-year-old Malaysia-returned student Intizar Ahmed was shot dead in his vehicle on Khayaban-i-Ittehad.
The detained officials, who have been suspended, were identified as inspector Tariq Mehmood (ACLC police station SHO), inspector Azhar Ahsan Rizvi, head constables Ghulam Abbas and Shahid, and constables Ghulam Abbas and Fawad Khan.
A senior police officer earlier told that there were nine armed ACLC policemen in plainclothes involved in the incident, of whom three have gone into hiding. They were travelling on two motorcycles and a car, all private vehicles, he said.
The ACLC officials tried to stop the teenager’s car but he did not stop it, thinking they were robbers, the police official said. They chased his car and opened fire at it, resulting in the death of the teenager, who sustained multiple bullet wounds, including one to the head, he added.
It is still unclear whether the boy was commuting alone or with a male or female friend, the officer said.
According to police sources close to the investigation, the suspects in their statements today said that the ACLC had set up a picket in the Khayaban-i-Bukhari area for snap checking after receiving reports about the snatching of government-owned vehicles in the DHA area linked to suspects in a white Toyota Corolla.
ACLC personnel in plainclothes wearing bulletproof vests were checking vehicles under the leadership of inspectors Tariq and Azhar, the sources said, citing the statements.
The personnel asked Intizar to stop, but he didn’t comply, after which they followed his vehicle and fired at its tires with their privately-owned weapons, according to the officials’ statements.
Three licensed 9mm pistols were recovered from the possession of the detained ACLC officials. The weapons, along with the 16 bullet casings recovered from the site of the shooting, have been sent for forensic testing, the sources said.
Remanded into police custodyA district and sessions court handed the suspects over to police on seven-day physical remand.
The ACLC officials, who had been detained in the City Court lockup, were presented before the court today as the public prosecutor requested a 14-day physical remand so that the investigation into the shooting could be conducted in a transparent manner.
The judge subsequently remanded the suspects over to police custody for seven days.