Sindh

SSP Rao Anwar removed from post over Naqeebullah killing

SSP Rao Anwar has been removed from his post after the probe committee formed over the extrajudicial killing of Naqeebullah Mehsud found the 27-year-old to be innocent.
A notification stating the decision would be issued later today.
According to the initial investigation report, the committee termed SSP Rao Anwar’s allegations against Naqeebullah baseless, sources said.
In its report, the committee stated that there was no proof found of Naqeebullah being a terrorist.
The 2014 FIR presented by Anwar was also bogus, it said.
Read more: Naqeebullah declared innocent, probe committee seeks Rao Anwar’s arrest
The committee in its report also recommended the registration of a case against Rao Anwar and other personnel involved in Naqeebullah’s killing.
Anwar’s name should also be placed on the Exit Control List (ECL), the report stated.
‘Justice will prevail’
The head of the committee, Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) Additional Inspector General Sanaullah Abbasi said earlier that justice will prevail in the case and the outcome will be based on merit.
He added that the team went again to observe the site of the incident and people will get to see justice in this case.
The AIG, in response to a question, said the team is under no pressure and added that they are ‘prisoners of their own conscience’.
Suo motu notice
Earlier on Friday, Chief Justice of Pakistan, Justice Saqib Nisar took notice of the suo motu killing.
The chief justice summoned a report from the Sindh police chief in seven days.
Following hue and cry on social media and by relatives of the Waziristan native, an inquiry committee was formed under the chair of CTD Additional IG Sanaullah Abbasi.