Sports

No danger to PSL, to be held at any cost: Sethi

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Najam Sethi Thursday said that there was no danger to the third edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and that it would take place at all cost.
Speaking to media personnel outside the PCB headquarters here, Sethi rebuffed reports that the tournament was in danger and would not take place.
The PCB chairman said that he had spoken to Haroon Rashid and Inzamam-ul-Haq to come up with a proper management plan for every Pakistani cricketer. “We will come up with a management plan that deals with every individual cricketer as to how many leagues does he play within a single year,” he said.
Earlier in the week, media reports suggested a halt in the progress towards the successful organisation of the PSL-3 due to the non-payment of dues by certain franchises, but Sethi clarified that it was blown out of proportion. “A few PSL franchises delayed their payments due to genuine problems, but we also had genuine concerns about our payments for the organisation of the tournament.
However, the problem was blown out of proportion and it was being said that the organisation of the third edition is in danger,” he said.
Sethi then added that no power can undo the PSL. “However, I am telling you, till I am here, no one can stop the PSL from happening. All our efforts are now focused towards the PSL since it has brought us fresh blood and the revival of international cricket.”
When asked about losses in New Zealand, he said that defeats are because of the absence of front-line bowlers and all-rounders. “When the team come back, they’ll present the report on the ODI whitewash and we’ll discuss it,” said Sethi.
“However, you saw some of our senior players were injured. Four or five frontline fast-bowlers were injured plus a couple of all-rounders. Plus there is a little bit of fatigue involved too,” he added.
The Chairman said, “Some fast-bowlers are playing in the county; some are playing in the leagues. We have now made a policy with the help of director academies Haroon Rasheed, chief selector Inzamamul Haq and head coach Mickey Arthur on how many leagues a player can participate in.”
Sethi also said that he has asked Arthur to devise individual plans for all contracted players. “I have asked Arthur to devise a customised plan for each player’s management. The plan will tell us how to manage each individual player throughout the year. The plan will tell us how many leagues a player should take part in, when and where he suffered fitness issues and how they should be solved. He will make that plan for all of our contracted players once he comes back [from New Zealand],” he said.
When asked about the upcoming tour of West Indies, the PCB chief said that the five-year bilateral contract for three-match T20I series, where the Caribbean giants would travel to Pakistan and then the latter would travel to the US for a tri-lateral series has been revised. “The matches, which were supposed to take place in Pakistan, would not reap any profits so we’ve restricted the series to just a one-off affair.”