3 policemen allegedly involved in Naqeeb murder case identified by eyewitnesses

Three policemen allegedly involved in a Karachi ‘encounter’ resulting in the extrajudicial killing of North Waziristan native Naqeebullah Mehsud were picked out by eyewitnesses during an identification parade in court on Wednesday.
Assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Allahyar, head constable Muhammad Iqbal and constable Arshad Ali were produced before a judicial magistrate in Malir, where two eyewitnesses identified them in an identification parade.
Both witnesses were arrested by the former Malir senior superintendent of police (SSP) Rao Anwar who is currently on the run along with Naqeebullah and two of his friends. However, they were both released on January 6, while Naqeebullah and three others were killed in a staged encounter on January 13.
Muhammad Iqbal told the court that he had performed “general duty” and “stayed at the checkpoint”, but the eyewitnesses told the court that he had been standing right next to the police van when they were arrested.
The court was told that Arshad Ali was in the police mobile that took the witnesses from Sher Agha Hotel to the Sachal police checkpoint. Arshad told the court that the witnesses had seen his clothes and he wished to change. When the magistrate allowed it, police changed his clothes.
The witnesses told the court that Allahyar had arrived in plainclothes at the hotel they were arrested from and was a part of the police party that apprehended them.
Allahyar rejected their claims, however, claiming that the witnesses’ statements were “not correct”. The court asked him if had objections over being paraded for identification to which he replied in the negative.
The officers were shifted to the Sachal police station after the identification parade. The officers were three of six policemen that had been sent on remand by a sessions court on January 28.
Sub-inspector Mohammad Yasin, ASI Supurd Hussain and head constable Khizar Hayat were also produced before the administrative judge by Senior Superintendent Police Investigations Malir Abid Ali Qaimkhani, who is investigating the case, to secure their remand.
The investigation officer (IO) informed the court that the suspects were arrested on Jan 26. He said that during initial questioning, the detained suspects had disclosed that they were part of a team which killed Naqeebullah Mehsud in the ‘fake encounter’ and their absconding accomplices were also involved in the extrajudicial killing.
The IO sought their custody for two weeks in order to produce them before a judicial magistrate for an identification parade, the arrest of absconding officials, and further investigation of the case.