SC To Indict Daniyal Aziz In Contempt Case Today

The Supreme Court of Pakistan will indict Minister for Privatization Daniyal Aziz in contempt of court case today.
Headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, a three-judge bench of the apex court will indict Daniyal Aziz in contempt of court case today.Earlier on March 06, the SC had decided to indict PML-N leader Daniyal Aziz in contempt of court case.A three member bench headed by Justice Azmat Saeed Shaikh heard the case against Danial Aziz.
The court expressed its dissatisfaction over the remarks of Daniyal Aziz and decided to indict him on the next hearing of the case on March 13.
On Monday, Aziz submitted his reply in the case stating that being a parliamentarian he cannot even think of disrespecting state institutions.He stated that he believes in the supremacy of the Constitution and respects state institutions, including judiciary.
“Media ran my comments out of context,” the PML-N leader added.
He also prayed to the court to take back the show-cause notice issued to him in the case.
On February 23, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz Leader Daniyal Aziz appeared before the Supreme Court of Pakistan bench hearing contempt notice case against him. While hearing the suo motu notice taken on the contempt of court case against Aziz, a three-member bench headed by Justice Azmat Saeed ordered that the transcript be provided to Aziz’s counsel.
The court also directed that the controversial statements made by Aziz be highlighted on the transcript.
Aziz’s counsel Advocate Ali Raza asked the court for the video clips mentioned in the suo motu notice. But the court directed the lawyer to obtain the video clips from Press Information Department.
The hearing was then adjourned till March 6.
Earlier, Aziz’s counsel had requested a record of the instances in which, according to the court, Aziz gave controversial speeches and statements.
In a request submitted to the Supreme Court, Raza stated that the newspaper article from September 9, 2017 mentioned in the suo motu notice, is regarding a news conference in PID. He added that according to him, the news article was wrong and deceitful.
About another instance mentioned in the suo motu notice a clip from September 12, 2017 aired on a private channel Aziz’s counsel has written that his client did not remember being on the programme of any television channel on that day.
The third reference in the notice is regarding news aired on September 15, 2017 on a private television channel.
Aziz’s counsel requested for a record of the news article and video clips, stating that it was essential to examine them for the sake of justice and before a response to the apex court’s show-cause notice is issued by his client.
The show-cause notice to Aziz was issued by the Supreme Court on February 19, after a contempt of court notice was sent to him on February 2 over his “controversial speeches and statements made during television shows”.
Talking to media, Daniyal Aziz said that he had submitted his reply in the case today. He said that the film being played today is witnessed before for several times in past and would not affect PML-N.A three-member bench headed by Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed is conducting the proceedings today.
The Supreme Court had issued on February 02, a contempt of court notice to Aziz and directed him to appear today, reportedly over his controversial speeches and statements made during various TV talk shows.